pink ladys or Lycoris - Knowledgebase Question

Lampe, Mi
Question by dovermrs03
I have about 40 of these ea. yr they come up great then the leaves turn yellow an die off I have them spread all through a rock bed that cover the full length of my front yard, there like 10 yr. old bulbs some are base ball size i need to know any care for these plants an why they die back then come out again?

0

Lycoris is also called hurricane lily because they spring to life after a heavy rainfall in late summer, bloom and then die down. Their foliage and flowers are visible for only a few weeks each year so what you describe with yours is perfectly normal. You can dig and divide yours if they are overcrowded, replanting the excess elsewhere. Or you can pot them up to give to friends. These plants often colonize an area because they produce new bulbs and spread without any help from gardeners. There is really nothing you can do to promote a longer period of growth with Lycoris. Hurricane lilies (also called surprise lily or magic lily) have a reputation for inconsistent flowering from year to year. This can be due to overcrowding, could be weather related, or may not be due to anything special at all. since they are so unpredictable, I'd just enjoy them while they are in bloom!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"