hydrangea colors - Knowledgebase Question

Latham, Ne
Question by hines9
I saw a Hydrangea that was a mix of pink and blue flowers. How can I get emy Hydrangea to do this?

0

Hydrangea flower color is somewhat dependent upon soil pH. It sounds as though some soil amendment was applied but it was taken up by only part of the root system of the hydrangea. The roots that were able to take up the lime or the sulfur developed either pink or blue flowers. You might be able to replicate this by applying 2 Tablespoons of aluminum sulphate per plant, making 4-6 applications at 2 week intervals, starting in the early spring before the plants bloom and sprinkling it on only a portion of the soil beneath your plant, then applying one half cup of lime to the rest of the soil beneath your hydrangea. This combination should result in multiple flower colors. It will be a fun project. I hope you get the desired results next summer.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"