tomato plants not producing - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by ronkettlerph
I bought Big Boy, Patio etc plants over 2 months ago. They have grown tall and flowered, but have not produced any tomatoes. What do I need to do to get them to produce tomatoes?

0

A couple possibilities come to mind: Tomato pollen isn't viable when temperatures are much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. The good news is that once a plant begins to set fruit, others usually follow. So at this point it's a bit of a waiting game. Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get the pollen to move to the female parts of the flowers so some fruit to set. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"