Zucchini Blossoms - Knowledgebase Question

Gerrardstown, We
Question by vmurphy12
Why would the flowers on my zucchini & yellow squash fall off as they start to whither - it looks almost like they were cut off as the flower stem is cut cleanly? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

0

The flower drop sounds normal to me. Squash plants develop separate male and female flowers. The flowers are open for only one day and then the flowers drop off; if the female flowers are pollinated a little squash will develop on the stem right behind where the flower petals once were. The petals will still fall off a day after opening regardless of whether the flower is male or female. Hot weather can affect fruit formation so if you are not getting any fruits at all, I'd chalk it up to the weather. Eventually your squash will produce both male and female flowers at the same time and insects will transfer the pollen from the male to the female flower. When that happens, you'll get zucchini. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"