About tomato's fruits - Knowledgebase Question

Corona, Ca
Question by tenmorita
I bought and planted tomato's tree.
Now, the tomato's tree bears fruit.
However, all of the fruits will split as they grow up.
After they turn to red and we can eat it, there is scar.
It is ugly.
Do I feed them water too much?
How can I stop them split?

0

Tomato fruits can split because of fluctuations in the temperature, fertilizer levels, or amount of water a plant receives. These conditions can cause the tomatoes to grow in spurts rather than at a steady, gradual pace. A plant goes through a ?hardening off? period after it has a spurt of growth, which would not occur if all of the growing elements (fertilizer, water, heat, etc.) remained somewhat constant. This ?hardening off? happens to the fruit and the skin. Once the skin has hardened off, if the fruit has another growth spurt, the skin will not be able to stretch to contain the fruit inside it, and the result can be cracking or splitting. Your goal should be to keep your tomatoes growing at a steady, consistent pace, avoiding the hardening off period until they are ready to pick. Try keeping the soil consistently moist and the splitting should stop.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"