Moving a rose bush - Knowledgebase Question

Bossier City, Lo
Question by kdc122903
My parents house sold and Mom had the only surviving rose bush from my great-grandmother's yard. I am on notice by the rest of the family to retreive this bush. I have the owner's permission, but it seems just too hot to move now. When in the fall is good for the move and what do I need for the move?

0

You can ensure success if you wait until the rose bush is dormant which will be after the first hard frost, or if you don't get frosty weather, wait until December when the plant is resting. Prune it back to make it easier to handle and then dig it out, cover the roots with a plastic tarp to prevent them from drying out and transport the rose bush to its new home. Expect most of the roots to be in the top 24" of soil and radiating out farther than the longest branches. It's okay to sever some of the smaller feeder roots but you'll want to keep the majority of the root mass together. I find it easier to dig in moist soil so you might want to soak the area the day before you plan to dig. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"