how long for butternut squash + melons to grow? - Knowledgebase Question

Studio City, Ca
Question by wendy764
I live in L.A. and planted butternut squash, watermelon, honeydew and cantelopes in mid May. The vines for all are VERY full and lush. I have several tiny blossoms on the squash but they haven't grown at all since I noticedt them probably 3 weeks ago. Does this sound right? So far no sign of melons growing. Should I see signs by now or does it sound like it's not going to happen?

0

By mid-July you should be seeing lots and lots of fruits on the vines so I'm not sure what's going on with your plants. They need at least 8 hours of sunshine each day so if they are not flowering and setting fruits, they may not be getting the sunshine they crave. I don't think there's anything that you can do to encourage flowering and fruit setting. When the growing conditions are right, they will produce. I hope they do soon - while there's still summer weather leaft!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"