my bush blooms way down inside it. - Knowledgebase Question

rocky mount, Mi
Question by firefl33107
my hydranda bush has the large white popcorn-like blooms but they are way down inside the bush. you have to move the branches aside to see them in the bush. I see other people's are on top of bush.what can i do?

0

Hydrangeas normally bloom on the tips of the new growth. Big leaf hydrangeas develop flowering stems from the previous year's growth. From what you describe, I wonder if the old growth, the stems in the center of the plant where the flowers are developing, was the only old growth left on your plant from last year? If so, the outer growth, although it is new this year, had no old growth on which to develop and is therefore not blooming? It's important to protect the stems of your plant from winter damage so they can survive until next spring. You can try pruning your hydrangea back after your first frost and then encircling it with a cylinder of chicken wire and adding dried leaves, pine needles or straw to help protect it from freezing and dying over the winter months. If the old growth survives the winter it will produce new growth which should flower the following spring/summer. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"