brown areas on lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Reisterstown, Mi
Question by barbackerman
My back yard has been fertilized and has been looking great. Large brown patches have developed over it. It has been watered regularly. It looks like the grass is dead in these areas. Should I reseed. What could be the cause?

0

There are a couple of reasons for brown spots on sod; dog urine is the most common, fungal diseases are next, or sprinklers that are missing those spots. To have the healthiest, greenest lawn possible, water deeply once a week (twice if the weather is really hot) to force the roots to penetrate deeply. Deep rooted grasses don't need as much water as those that are shallow rooted, and won't turn brown as easily. (Frequent, light watering will keep the roots close to the surface, making them dry out faster in warm weather and require even more frequent watering.) A final thought - if your turf contains a mixture of both warm and cool season grasses, the brown areas may be cool season grasses that are going dormant because of the summer weather. If so, these areas will green up on their own in the cooler months. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be going on with your turfgrass.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"