help my beautiful heirloom tomatoe plant is dying - Knowledgebase Question

harper woods, Mi
Question by acxel814
My girl friend and i bought 3 beautiful heirloom tomato plants I bought top soil and manure along with tomato plant food I used the same dirt on all the plants but unfortunately 2 of the heirloom tomato plant look like they are dying the leaves are wilting and drooping but all my other tomatoes are thriving what can I do should I re pot them I'm at a huge loss one looks better than the other but

0

I'm sure it's disappointing to watch your beautiful plants wilt away for no apparent reason. Drooping and wilting can be a symptom of disease or can indicate soil that remains too wet for long periods of time. Tomato plants do require a lot of water but they also need to have the soil dry out a bit between waterings. If the soil is too wet the roots can rot. They actually suffocate when water drives out the oxygen in the soil. This collapses the vascular system and no water can travel up the stems and to the leaves of the plants, which causes the wilting. Even though you probably water all your plants at the same time and use the same amount of water, the two droopy looking plants may be getting more water than they can handle. I'd adjust the watering schedule a little. Stick your fingers down into the soil to see just how wet or dry the soil is around the roots of your plants. You can allow the top inch of soil to dry out between waterings; the soil near the root systems will still be moist even when the top of the soil feels and looks dry. I hope your plants perk up once you've adjusted your watering schedule.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"