petunias - Knowledgebase Question

North Kingstown, Rh
Question by dlatimore1
I have 2 gardens full petunias and they are beautiful but they are starting to get leggy, what can I do to get them back to beautiful

0

You can keep your petunias full instead of leggy if you regularly pinch and deadhead. When deadheading petunias take off the entire spent flower plus some of the stem. Wherever you cut or pinch, the plant will develop two new flowering stems. Start pinching when the plants are young and they will be twice as full and develop twice as many flowers. They get leggy when the stems are allowed to develop on their own without being pinched. You don't have to wait for a flower to develop on a stem before pinching. Just pinch out the very tip of a growing stem to promote the development of two new stems. Pinch them back and they will fill out. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"