Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Waxhaw, No
Question by sctrammell
Want to redo entire lawn. Soil is mostly clay. What should I do to cultivate lawn to be more friendly for growing fescue? I live in Charloote, NC area.

0

I'd start by rototilling the lawn to a depth of 4-8", rake out the clumps of sod and weeds, and repeat. I'd then spread 3-4 inches of compost or other organic matter and till the area again. This will provide a well draining, nutrient rich base for your new lawn. Then grade the area so that the lawn slopes away from your house foundation, so water doesn't drain off the lawn and into your foundation or basement. Sow the seed at the rate recommended on the seed package, and cover the area with a thin layer of peatmoss or straw to help prevent erosion and protect seed from birds. Keep the area evenly moist, but not wet, until the grass is growing well. Hope this information helps and you wind up with the greenest lawn on the block!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"