Transplanting rose of sharon - Knowledgebase Question

BOSTON, Ma
Question by drlynda6
In the past I have transplanted several rose of sharon that have survived. Recently, I have had several to die. Do you have any suggestions, should I use root growth hormone?

0

Rose of Sharon is usually easy to transplant so if you've had success with some but not with others, it may be that you are moving them at the wrong time of the year. Spring and fall months are the least stressful times for shrubs to be dug and transplanted. That's when temperatures are cooler and rainfall usually abundant, both of which will help the roots become quickly established in their new homes. The next best time is winter, when the plants are dormant. If you avoid moving your Rose of Sharon in the heat of the summer, I think you'll be successful with the move. Root hormones are helpful when trying to encourage root growth but I think they are most useful when trying to root stem cuttings rather than when you are transplanting a shrub that already has a root system. I'd just move the shrub in the spring or fall and not bother with using root stimulating hormones. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"