Why do my lilies only bloom once? - Knowledgebase Question

Brentwood, Mi
Question by laverne59
Last year you told me that my Stella d' oro day lilies had an insect problem when they didn't bloom. I kept some of the unopened buds in a plastic bag (as you suggested) for a few days but no bugs came out. The lilies bloomed this spring in their best array that I have ever seen, but now they are finished. All I have are green buds. Thank you for your time.

0

I'm glad your lilies finally bloomed for you! Stella d'Oro daylilies should develop flowers off and on all summer long if you prune off the dead flowers and flower stem. Your plant will rest and then send up a new flowering stalk. If they are planted in full sunshine those flowers should open up. If you're sure there are no little worms inside the unopened flower buds then the failure of those buds to open up are either due to cultural problems or environmental problems. Try feeding your daylilies with a bloom booster fertilizer to help open those flowers and making sure they get adequate water and 8 hours of sunshine a day. If the weather has been really hot, it can suspend the flowering process and you may need to wait until temperatures cool down a bit before those flowers can open. I think they will - just be patient!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"