Lawn won't thicken or green - Knowledgebase Question

Centennial, Co
Question by rob592
2 yrs ago I had a great contractor replace my lawn. New everything, sprinklers, turf etc. I continue to have extreme issues with the grass not getting thick. Now it is July, very hot in Denver and I can't get it to grow or green up. I've fertilized, fungisized, dethatched, debuged per the sod, sprinkler and landscape experts,but no luck. What is the best way to approach a big problem like this

0

It's sounds like you're really frustrated! I think you've done everything humanly possible to make a nice growing environment for your lawn. The only thing you haven't done is identify your turfgrass. There are cool season grasses and warm season grasses. If your turf is mostly cool season grasses, they will go dormant during the hot summer months and no amount of coaxing will get them to green up. You might dig some of your turf and take it to your cooperative extension office for identification. If it is a cool season grass, or mostly cool season grasses, you might want to overseed with a warm season grass such as Kentucky Blue. Your extension office can help with the turfgrass selection. The closest is Colorado State University Extension, 5804 South Datura Street, Littleton - (303) 730-1920
Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"