Squash vine borers - Knowledgebase Question

Albany, Ne
Question by NelHutch1934
it appears that these bugs are damaging our squash plants. What can we do to prevent that from happening or from continuing?
Thanks.
Nelly

0

I have fought squash bugs in my gardens and here is what works for me. First, squish the bugs and their eggs. I tried going out every three days or so and squashing the bugs I found along with any of their eggs. Their amber-colored eggs are laid in clusters underneath the leaves, usually in the protected area between two leaf veins. If you are squeemish about squashing them, carry a can of soapy water or alchohol and drop them into that. If you set a board under the plants near the stem, you will find they like to congregate beneath it during the day. This makes them "sitting ducks"! A piece of aluminum foil wrapped around the base of the plant, or a wrapping of old panty hose, will keep them from laying their eggs on the plant. You can also try burying the vining stems serpentine fashion every between every 4th set of leaves so it will root at that point. This way stems will have a better chance of getting moisture and nutrients. And finally, I spray occasionally with a pyrethrin/rotenone product. This is an organic option with good "knock down power" on the bugs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"