Tomato Plant - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sheetalkamat
The tomato plant's bottom leaves are drying out. Is it too much of sun thats causing this? Should i move it to little shadier area? It did produce few flowers but how do i guarantee that they turn into tomato and dont die on the plant itself. I have planted it in a pot.

0

Yellowing leaves on tomato plants is quite common and can be caused by a variety of things, including transplant shock, over or under-watering and lack of nitrogen. Tomato plants will often shed the lowest, oldest leaves as the plant grows. You can simply pull or clip these leaves off. In general, tomatoes like rich, moist soil that's has plenty of organic matter and drains well. Tomatoes need nitrogen for green healthy leaves. Try fish emulsion for an organic source of nitrogen. Follow package instructions for application rates. Water well before and after applying. Tomatoes are moisture sensitive and need a regular supply of water to thrive and produce fruit. How often to water depends on your particular soil's characteristics. You want to keep it uniformly moist, but not soaking wet, to a depth of 12-18 inches. Keep your tomato plants in full sunshine for best growth. Flowering and fruit set are somewhat weather dependent. Daytime temperatures over 90F and nighttime temperatures below about 55F can slow tomato production. I hope this information helps with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"