Orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sheetalkamat
I bought orchid just 5 days back from home depot. Now how do I know when I should be watering it? How do i know that the plant is adjusting to the location and it isnt deprived from ideal condition. I have placed it in office on a table near the window(not directly in window to avoid direct sunlight). One of its flowers is collapsing which was quite fresh when i got it. Is it normal?

0

Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so you can snip off the faded flower, but leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it. Wait 2-3 years and then find a container just slightly larger than the current one and use wood chip based orchid mix potting soil. Enjoy your new orchid!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"