Tulip tree - Knowledgebase Question

BOSTON, Ma
Question by drlynda6
I have a tulip tree in my front yard. It produces volunteer trees all over my yard. I missed pulling one up and it has take root and continues to grow despite my cutting it down. How can I root it up form the ground so it will not continue to grow, it is not in an optimum location.

0

You may have to dig down between it and the parent tree to make sure they do not share the same roots. If they do, sever the root and dig the volunteer out, roots and all. If they do not appear to be sharing the same root system you can kill off the volunteer by cutting it down at ground level and immediately painting the stub with Round Up or Brush B Gon. These products will travel down the stem into the root system and kill it. (That's why it's important to make sure the volunteer is not attached to the parent tree - if you apply Round Up to the stub of the volunteer and it is attached, the chemical can adversely affect the parent tree.) With a little persistence you should be able to stop the volunteer from growing. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"