magnolia tree - Knowledgebase Question

Brownsville, Te
Question by bertmontoya0
my magnolia tree was planted in full light about 4 mths ago. the leaves are turning brown even as new leaves are coming in. what can i do to make sure it doesn't die on me?

0

The problem is probably related to drainage, and perhaps some root damage at planting time. Magnolias prefer a well-drained, humusy soil of a slightly acidic pH (5.5-6.5), and moderate, consistent soil moisture. Their fragile roots are prone to transplant damage. Because magnolia leaves are rather thick, drought stress or other root problems can take a long time to show up. Since your tree is putting out healthy new growth it may have already overcome the problem and you are seeing the last of the symptoms. Once the old leaves drop off, new ones should be produced. I'd continue to give it good care. By this time next year it should be full of healthy leaves and new growth. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"