Roses - Knowledgebase Question

kissimmee, Fl
Question by kdanberry2
I had large blooms last spring - but now the flowers are small and the plants have fewer leaves. I use Miracle Grow Rose food - do I need additional nutrients?

0

Sometimes roses will set only a few large flowers, other times they will develop an abundance of smaller roses. If your rose bush is otherwise healthy, I don't think the smaller flowers should cause concern. You can prune your rose bush back to encourage healthy new growth and you can cut off some of the rose buds as they are developing to redirect the energy into making fewer but larger flowers. Heat stress is probably a factor, as well, so the flowers in the spring and in the fall can be much larger than those produced in mid summer. Since you water and feed regularly, I don't think your rose bush needs anything except cooler weather to produce those large flowers. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"