what are the round bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

34669, Fl
Question by gparker59
what are the round bulbs forming on my double angel trumpet lilly---the flower bulbs have done their thing and now these round ones are coming on--about the size of a golf ball--if they are seed pods can I and do I dry to plant them

0

If you did not prune off the spent flowers, what you are seeing probably are seed pods. You can allow them to ripen and then harvest the seeds. The pods generally ripen in September but watch them carefully. If they begin to split open, they are ripe and should be harvested.

When the pods are dry, remove seeds and air dry on paper towels. When held to the light, you should be able to see a tiny embryo in each seed. Discard any seeds without embryos. Your seed will be hybrid seed, so don't expect them to be identical to either parent, but a brand new cultivar.

Sow seeds an inch apart in a flat or pot, covering with 1/2 inch of sterile, finely textured potting soil. You may start seed immediately after harvest in a greenhouse or under lights, or wait until spring and sow in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse. Direct sowing outdoors is not recommended. Seedling losses can be very high due to fungus infections and/or uneven moisture levels.

Seedlings need light 14 to 16 hours per day, even moisture, plus diluted liquid fertilizer every 14 days. When bulblets are the size of filberts and have a good root structure, transplant outdoors in late spring (harden off first), or grow in individual pots until planting in the garden next October.

Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"