Garden Pest - Knowledgebase Question

Englewood, Ne
Question by clarrich
What is is eating off my White Daisy petals? What do I need to do to stop the eating?

0

About the only thing that eats the petals but not the leaves are earwigs. Earwigs generally feed on organic debris and other insects unless the population is large and there's lots of competition for food. They do like to hide in moist, dark places, however, and may be camping out near your daisy plants so they can feed at night. that There are two ways to control the earwigs: Put about a half-inch of water in an empty cat food or tuna can and float a tablespoon of oil on top. Place the can beneath your plants. Earwigs will be attracted to the residue in the can, crawl in, get coated with oil and drown. Or, roll a few newspaper tubes, moisten them, and place them in the garden in the early evening. Earwigs are mostly active at night and look for a moist, dark place to hide during the day. They'll crawl into the tubes in the early morning. Collect and dispose of the newspaper tubes each morning and eventually you'll lower the earwig population in your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"