Stones vs Mulch? - Knowledgebase Question

Boynton Beach, Fl
Question by seabrookme
This is a question for an expert as there was no answer for it online.
Can I use small stones instead of mulch? I prefer them as they stay in place better than mulch. If I CAN use small stones instead of mulch, which stones would be best to use? Thank you.

0

A two inch layer of stones will act like an organic mulch, except they won't decompose over time the way an organic mulch will. The only downside with stones is that they can absorb and radiate more heat than an organic mulch might. With this in mind, go ahead and use decorative stones instead of organic mulch. I prefer a mixed size of landscape stones; they pack well and are easy to walk on without shifting or being kicked out onto the sidewalk or lawn. In your garden center, look for landscape stones, stay away from gravel, and I think you'll make the right choice. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"