Burning Bushes are dying - Knowledgebase Question

Saratoga Springs, Ut
Question by karenbrother
We bought burning bushes in May, and they have been struggling ever since. They have brown on the leaf edges and holes in the leaves. What am I doing wrong? They are on a drip system, we planted with nutrient filled soil. HELP!

0

It can take landscape trees and shrubs a month or two to settle in and re-establish their root systems. Now that summer weather is really here, your burning bushes are dealing with the heat and intense sunshine in addition to trying to establish their root systems. I think they will perk up once they settle in. You might want to check your drip system to make sure it delivers enough water to throughly wet the root system but still allows the soil to dry out slightly between water applications. Since your shrubs are struggling you might consider shutting off the system (or plugging the emitters near your plants) and watering by hand for the remainder of the summer. Make watering wells or watering basins beneath each shrub by mounding up a few inches of soil. Fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Do this every 5-7 days. Watering in this way will concentrate the water directly over the root systems and allow it to percolate down slowly, thoroughly wetting the soil. The soil will also have a chance to dry out slightly between waterings. This should help the roots establish and the shrubs to perk up and begin to grow for you. Best wishes with your new shrubs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"