lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Name: sally dunhalm
wolverine, Mi
Question by mustang_sall
If a part of a stem gets broken off after flowering, will this prevent it from flowering next year. What do I have to do to get one to bloom, that didn't this year. They are oriental lilies. Thank-You.

0

Lilies need the stem and foliage to manufacture and transport energy back to the bulb for next year's growth and flowering. If you cut the stem down before it turns yellow and dies on its own, or if it is accidentally broken off, the bulb may not be able to store sufficient energy for flowering next year. Lilies grow and flower best in full sunshine, in rich, moist soil. With any luck at all your lily will be able to store enough energy for growth next year. You might want to stake the stems up as they develop next year, just so they will be supported well and won't be so apt to snap off or fall over. I hope your lily blooms for you next year.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"