Potted Pine - Knowledgebase Question

Rego Park, Ne
Question by kenbytan
I want to by a baby Pinus Anderwolf #7 put on my balcony. How should I take care of it? I want to keep it's potted time as long as I can, how should I to do?
Thank you
Sincerely
New York City Ken Tan

0

Pinus flexilis 'Vanderwolf's' is a dense, broad pyramidal in youth; becoming a low, broad, flat topped tree at maturity. The pine needles are silvery bluish green and very attractive. It grows well in USDA Hardiness Zones 4-7 and can reach a mature height of 30 feet with a spread of about 15 feet. Since you will be growing yours in a container where the roots will be restricted, you can keep it much smaller. It grows slowly and when it becomes potbound you can unpot it and shave about an inch of roots off the root mass, then repot it and fill in around the edges of the pot with potting soil so the roots can grow again. Give your new tree lots of sunshine and protection from winter winds (move it close to the building in the winter time). Enjoy your new pine tree!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"