poor size hydrangea blooms - Knowledgebase Question

Pocono Lake, Pe
Question by rberke
I have a 4 y/o Angel's blush hydrangea which had enormous blooms the 1st 2 years. Last year I noticed the blooms where about half the size. This year they are about 1/4 the original size. The bush has about doubled its original size. It is in a semi-shade area with about 4hrs of afternoon sun. I used Hollytone the last 2 years as per bag recommendations. Suggestions?

0

Hydrangeas will produce larger flowers if they are pruned back in the early spring. You didn't mention whether or not you regularly prune your plant. If not, try pruning next spring just as new growth begins. If you do regularly prune your hydrangea, the smaller size of blooms may be due to the actual number of blooms. It takes a lot of energy to grow those flowers so your hydrangea may need an additional boost of fertilizer in the spring. Try a bloom booster type fertilizer (larger middle number on the package). This may provide enough of an extra dose of phosphous to get those flowers to develop for you. Hope so! Best wishes with your hydrangea!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"