fruitless olives - Knowledgebase Question

Jamul, Ca
Question by wkshea5050
I bought 7 24in boxed Fruitless Olive trees from HD for 39.00 each.Great deal. I planted them in my customers yard and 5 trees developed fruit and 2 did not. My customer is furious. What should I do? What happened?

0

Olea europaea 'Monher' or 'Wilsonii' is sometimes sold as 'Majestic Beauty' and is generally thought of as being fruitless. In reality, fruitless olive trees are not fruitless but 'nearly' fruitless. If they flower they have the chance of setting fruits, but the fruits will be fewer and smaller fruits than from a standard olive tree. You can have the trees sprayed with a growth hormone to keep them from flowering and setting fruit (this needs to be done every year) or you can reduce fruit set by spraying the open blossoms with a blast of water from the hose. I'm afraid that fruitless olive trees will set fruit - just not as much as a fruitful olive tree. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"