Cotoneaster - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by danahedman
I have 4 cotoneasters that were planted in the same area 3-4 years ago. This year, 3 of the 4 seem to be dying - lots of brown leaves. We've been watering. I have pictures, but don't see at this point how I can send them. Thanks!

0

We can't accept photo attachments through this forum but if you post them on a public website such as Flickr and then send us the links, we can access the pictures. Cotoneasters are relatively free of insect and disease problems so the browning leaves may indicate a root problem - perhaps water stress or winter damage that is just now showing up. Try pruning back some of the stems to see if new growth develops. If so, the roots are healthy; if not, there's a root rot or other problem underground. You can also prune off all the dead and dying stems and leaves. The act of pruning will result in healthy new growth if the roots are still healthy. Good luck with your cotoneasters!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"