Raspberry bush - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by danahedman
I have a raspberry bush, pleanted 3-4 years ago, which in the past gave a nice number of raspberries - at least enough each day for breakfast. This year, we got some, and now nothing for about 2 weeks (1-2 small raspberries/day). Have been watering. Any thoughts? Thanks.

0

I know that a good dose of fertilizer in the spring will aid growth and increase production. If you are suffering with the same drought conditions as we are, I'm not surprised the plants didn't produce as much as usual. Brambles have shallow root systems, and need regular irrigation if rain isn't sufficient. Sometimes, too, viruses spread from wild plants by insects infect the plants, and render them pretty useless. In that case, it's best to replace them entirely. Infected plants show stunted or deformed growth, and an off-color foliage. To maintain soil nutrients for your raspberry patch, each spring before the canes show signs of growth, rake back the mulch and apply about a half-pound of well-rotted cow manure. Rake the mulch back into place. I hope this helps get your brambles back in shape!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"