blooming sequence of tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by wilson6414
I have a Topsy Turvy upright planter here in Houston. There are 3 varieties; cherry, heirloom & roma. They were planted in early May. They get 4 hrs of sun, water daily & MGrow tomatoe food weekly. They are growing profusely w/big strong vines & blooms appear constantly. However, they are not producing tomatoes at all. Thanks...need help!

0

I know it can be really frustrating when tomato plants bloom but do not set fruit. There are several explanations: Tomato pollen isn't viable when temperatures are much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. The good news is that once a plant begins to set fruit, other fruits usually follow. So at this point it's a bit of a waiting game. Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get the pollen to move to the female parts of the flowers so some fruit to set. Good luck with your tomatoes - there's nothing quite as satisfying as biting into a fresh, ripe tomato!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"