Lawn Condition - Dryness - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, Ge
Question by duane_smith
How can I tell just how parched/thirsty/damaged my lawn is?

0

You can usually get a drought stressed lawn to green up again with copious amounts of water. Dormant or dead turfgrass will not respond to irrigation. It usually takes about 2 weeks for a drought stressed lawn to green up once you start watering on a regular basis.

Lawns need about an inch of water per week, applied slowly so it has a chance to percolate down into the soil and thoroughly wet the entire root system. An off-green color, or folded, droopy blades indicate the lawn is thirsty. If you step on the grass and it doesn't spring right back up, it's time to water. To determine how dry or moist the soil is below the surface, dig down at least 12 inches with a trowel or spade and take a handful of soil and squeeze it; still-moist soil will hold together in a tight ball. An even better way to investigate is to invest in a sampling tube to "read" your soil. When you push the metal tube into the ground and twist it back out, it extracts a 12-inch or longer core showing in cross section how wet or dry the soil actually is. For example, if your soil sample is powder dry on top and barely damp below, it's time to water.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"