Tree with leaf edges that are dry and brown - Knowledgebase Question

Amarillo, Te
Question by russelldavis
I planted a 45 gal maple tree in May using the proper techinques of planting. We had several days of warm winds that were 50+ mph. Kept it watered well and staked during that time, however tree did move around some. Now leaves have browned edges all over. What caused it and what can I do to save it? Thanks.

0

Crispy leaf margins on maples can indicate heat stress or water stress. As your tree establishes itself in your landscape and produces new foliage, the leaves will be more able to tolerate the conditions in the growing site. The tree was probably growing in a protected site and perhaps a site with less sunshine when it was in the nursery. The leaves that developed were accustomed to the exposure in that site. Now that it is out in the open and receiving full sun and a bit of wind, the leaves are showing their discomfort. As long as you water deeply once or twice a week the roots will settle in and when it produces foliage next spring, the leaves will be more tolerant of the growing conditions. There's not much else you can do for your tree. The damaged leaves may drop but new leaves will develop. Just be patient with your new tree until it has a chance to fully establish its root system.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"