tomato flowers drop - Knowledgebase Question

Sayreville, Ne
Question by janice_5030
the flowers on my tomato plants seem to fall off before flowering, I live in central NJ, could the heat be affecting them? What can I do about it?

0

Yes, heat can affect fruit production in tomatoes and other vegetable plants. I understand your frustration when the plants fail to produce. Tomato pollen isn't viable when temperatures are much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. The good news is that once a plant begins to set fruit, other fruits usually follow. So at this point it's a bit of a waiting game. Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get the pollen to move to the female parts of the flowers so some fruit to set. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"