Sorbet Peony. - Knowledgebase Question

staten island, Ne
Question by arizona94n
Hello. I think I may have panted my sorbet peony too shallow. The 'root' had four eyes. The lowest eye was planted at a depth of 1 1/2 inches, so the top eye was covered at around an inch. The first eye is coming out now but is yellow and dry. Should I add soil or can I leave it? Any other suggestions? Thank you for you help.

0

The eyes of the peony should be one to two inches deep. If you plant them too deeply they will be reluctant to bloom. If the new shoot is turning yellow you may be overwatering your peony. The soil should be moist but not soggy wet. It's a little hard to describe, but the roots will appreciate regular moisture and the top half inch of soil should be allowed to dry out between waterings. I hope you amended the planting site with compost or other organic matter prior to planting your peony. Good drainage is essential. If you did not dig a lot of compost or other organic matter into the bed prior to planting, and if you think your soil drains slowly, it might be worth the effort to dig the peonies, amend the soil, then replant them, setting them so the eyes are just an inch or two below the soil surface. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your peonies!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"