roses - Knowledgebase Question

Clermont, Fl
Question by mkmalys
Some of the rose leaves have large holes in them.What am I dealing with? Also the stems are quite spindly - could it be too much or too often fertilizer? Thank you.

0

Fast growth can make the stems spindly so you might want to taper off on the fertilizer applications. Nitrogen not only encourages lush, green growth, it can also keep your rose from flowering. I'm not sure what might be munching on the leaves. Caterpillars can make large holes in the leaves, but so can beetles and other insects. Why not check the undersides of the leaves to see if you can find caterpillars, or look for their droppings which are little black pellets. If you find them, you can use Dipel or Thuricide. If you find beetles, you can use a neem oil based product such as Rose Defense. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"