How do I care for my Royal Poinciana trees. - Knowledgebase Question

Edgewater, Fl
Question by Bunter122
I have two trees approximately 2 1/2 feet high. Should I plant them in the ground or keep them in their pots. I started them from seed. What kind of fertilizer should I use and how often. What kind of dirt should they be in. How old do they have to be before they have flowers? I live in the Daytona Bch area. Thanks.

0

Royal poinciana is tolerant of a wide range of well drained soils from acidic to alkaline and from loamy to gravelly. It is very fast growing (about 5 ft per year until maturity). Plant it in full sun and protect it from strong winds while it is young. Royal poinciana is drought tolerant, but does best with regular water in the growing season and very little water in its dormant season. You can expect your tree to begin flowering by about age 5. They generally do not need feeding but you can feed while it is young. Use a 5-10-10 granular fertilizer, broadcasted beneath the canopy of the tree in the spring. Enjoy your new trees!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"