magnolia trees - Knowledgebase Question

stafford, Te
Question by malatiu
8 years back I planted big magnolia tress in my garden not realizing that they have lateral roots. Now they are covering all over my little orange and rose bushes. What is the best way that all plants live happily in my garden? can trim magnolia roots around other plants?

thanks
malathi

0

Magnolias can be shallow rooted and you won't want to damage any above ground roots or the trees can suffer dieback. If you're getting suckers growing straight up from the roots you can cut the suckers off, but don't cut into the roots. You may need to move your rose bushes and other shrubs to an area without surface roots so they aren't competing for moisture and nutrients with the roots of your magnolia tree. Wish I had a better solution to share. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"