gardenia placement - Knowledgebase Question

san pedro, Ca
Question by ninalu2006b
I bought a fragant gardenia, and I have it in a pot, and even when the plant looks healthy, it is not growing or growing flowers....is there any particular orientation (East, west...) that I need for it? It says sun but should I have it half sun half shade? Any other important recommendations?? I am really desperate....thanks for your help!

0

Gardenias will flower best if given 4 hours of morning sunshine and shade from hot afternoon sun. In order to bloom, your plant needs a nighttime temperature of 60F - 65F degrees and a daytime temperature about 10 degrees warmer. Without an even temperature and careful watering, gardenias will drop their flower buds while they're still unopened. Keep the soil moist using tepid, soft water, and mist the plant every day to keep the plant happy. Fertilize with a water soluble fertilizer for acid loving plants such as Miracid following the label instructions. It's natural for the older leaves of gardenias to turn yellow and drop off. New leaves will grow in their places. To keep your plant tidy and to encourage new growth, pinch back the growing tips of the stems. Gardenias don't like to be repotted more often than every 2-3 years. Do so in the spring, using a good commercial potting soil for acid loving plants, and putting the plant in a new pot that's only slightly larger than the old one. Best wishes with your gardenia.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"