Potted Pumpkin - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenixville, Pe
Question by bmurph237
I just bought pumpkin seeds and want to have them ready by Halloween. I am going to plant them in a pot that is 1.5 ft high and 1.5 ft in diameter that gets direct sun for approximately 6 hrs a day. How many plants can I grow in the pot, and how can I best take care of them?

0

Unless you are growing Jack Be Little or other miniature pumpkins, there won't be enough growing time for them to mature if you are only just planting them now, in late July. Check the back of the seed package to see how many days to maturity and then count back from your normal first frost date. You may find that you'll need to save your seeds for growing next year. They should be planted in early May if they are standard sized pumpkins. You can plant 2-3 seeds in the pot and the baby pumpkin plants should have ample room for root growth. Use potting soil and keep it moist but not soggy wet. Feed with a liquid fertilizer every 3-4 weeks. Good luck with your pumpkins!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"