Why are my coneflowers dying? - Knowledgebase Question

Yorkville, Il
Question by mccoyba
Is there something that would cause my coneflowers to suddenly wilt and die? They are getting enough moisture and have flowered, etc. however, one day they look great and then within 24 hours the entire plant has died? I have not seen any insect infectation. Other ideas??? Please help! Thanks.

0

Sudden wilting usually indicates a root problem. With coneflowers, a root rot or a fungal disease right at soil level will kill the plants. Poor soil drainage is the usual cause. Why not dig up the plant and check the root system? Healthy roots are creamy white inside; diseased or dead roots will be black, brown or rusty colored and may be slimy. If you find dead or damaged roots you might be able to cut them away and replant the remaining healthy roots. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"