Soggy Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Groton, Co
Question by mattrembish
I have been watering my lawn daily for the past two weeks for 30 mins. It has been so hot and killing my lawn. After I water it is very very soggy - you can sink your foot into the lawn with a little pressure. Am I overwatering? If so, how would I prevent my lawn from turning brown then? A few inches below ground feels rocky like gravel when I push the sprinkler into the ground,is this normal?

0

Daily watering can actually do more harm than good because it keeps the root system close to the surface of the soil and too much water can drive out oxygen, and suffocate the roots of your lawn. Deep soakings twice a week will encourage deep rooting and a deeply rooted turf will not be so easily stressed by heat and drought. There's not much you can do in mid summer to improve the compaction problem you describe but this fall I would strongly recommend renting a core aerator and aerating your lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs and make room for water drainage. You can then overseed your entire lawn. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"