Poison Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Harrisville, Ne
Question by marymanchio
I have a large amount of poison ivy around the garage. I started spraying it with round-up but there is just too much and it's not doing that great of a job killing it. The ones that did die, can they still effect your skin? What would be the best way to get rid of alot of poison ivy?

0

Poison ivy can be difficult to control, but if you keep at it, you'll eventually win the battle. Timing is important when trying to eradicate such an extensive and well established stand of poison ivy. An herbicide containing glyphosate formulated for brush and applied (and possibly reapplied) according to the label instructions should do the job. Note that a late summer, early fall application (while the roots are rebuilding reserves) can be more effective than a spring applications. Spraying will help but there are probably seeds buried in the soil, as well. You might try laying weed barrier or even thick layers of newspaper or cardboard over the area to keep seeds from germinating. If you use weed barrier you can cover the entire area and then cut holes in it to plant your shrubs and perennials. And, whenever you see a new shoot of poison ivy emerge, cut it down to ground level. As long as you persist in cutting it down, the roots will eventually run out of stored energy and they will die off. Even dead plant parts can bother your skin so be sure to wear gloves and long sleeves when cleaning up the poison ivy. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"