calibrachoa just wilted and died - Knowledgebase Question

South Jordan, Ut
Question by kayesanders
I love Million Bells, but it seems every year, I have some plants do great and then for some unknown reason, a plant will start to wilt, and completely dry out and die within a day or two. I know they are getting plenty of water and fertilizer. I am confused because I had three individual plants in one pot and one plant did this and the others seem to be thriving. Others had this happen too.

0

For some reason, Million Bells is prone to root rot. I've had better luck with them when I plant in sandy soils. Sand does not hold moisture, which means I have to water every day during the summer months, but at least the plants don't develop root rot. It could be that even if your soil drains well, the roots of adjacent plants might be remaining wet enough to cause root rot in the calibrachoa. I really have no solution other than to amend your potting soil with builder's sand, at least in the places where you will be planting million bells. Hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"