One type of hosta is dieing. - Knowledgebase Question

Magnolia, Il
Question by memaw_1001
On the north side of my house I planted Hostas. Several different kinds and several years ago. A few years ago I dig them up and gave away 2/3 of them and almost killed all of them. now I have one type only that has holes all over the leaves and the ground at the base looks black, but they are still blooming. I have had many complements on them and hate to loose any.

0

Black tissue on the base of the plant can indicate a fungal disease so you might want to dig the hosta up, amend the soil with compost or other organic matter so it drains well, then replant your hosta. Try to set it just barely below soil level so moisture doesn't sit on the crown of the plant. Holes in the leaves may be due to slug or snail feeding. You can broadcast Sluggo or other bait to control the pests. Good luck with your hosta!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"