seeds or sod on new dirt - Knowledgebase Question

moreno valley, Ca
Question by blkqtpy
new home with no grass in the back. I have a huge yard and need to know which is easier to grow and maintain, sod or planting seeds.Is sod expensive?

0

Whether you decide to seed or install sod, you'll still need to prepare the soil for planting by digging or rototilling, adding compost (for good drainage) and sprinkling starter fertilizer over the top. Mix everything in, level the soil with a lawn roller half filled with water and then either broadcast the seed or lay the sod.

Sod has the advantage in that it already has a mature root system so it is well established. All you need to do is roll it out and water it in and you'll have an instant weed free lawn. Seeds take a little more work but once established will look just like the sod. From a maintenance standpoint, sod is the easier way to go, but it also costs more. I guess your decision will be based on how much time you have to devote to planting and weeding a new lawn ,and whether or not you want/need an instant lawn. Best wishes with your new lawn~

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"