tomatoes problems - Knowledgebase Question

Greensboro, No
Question by Itzyespin
Hi!,wondering what are this little tiny brown spots all over my tometoes,are they safe to eat? today I harvest about 15 of them it will be painful trowing them away and some of them ara crack on the top where the steam is.is there such a thing as living them too long on the plant I am waiting for them to turn completly red on the vine and when they are I get the litle specs on them.

0

The little specks can be insect injuries or sun scald. I'm sure the tomatoes are safe to eat. Some tomato varieties crack where the stem is attached (called catfacing) and it's can be normal for that variety or it can indicate water stress as the tomatoes were forming and developing. The tomatoes are still safe to eat, they just don't look very pretty. It is possible to leave tomatoes on the vine too long but generally they will turn mushy and mealy, not develop cracks. You can pick your tomatoes when they are just beginning to turn red and they will ripen on your kitchen counter in a week or two. You might try picking a few green ones to see if that makes a difference - they may not develop the little specks. Enjoy your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"