caring for daylilies - Knowledgebase Question

Fishers, In
Question by debodom
Everything I've read says that daylilies bloom all summer. Mine don't. I've tried watering on a semi-weekly basis, and just letting nature water on her own. I do remove the stalks after the flowers have died. Since these were inherited when we moved here, I don't have the name: they are tall (4-6 feet) and orange.... Also, can I cut back foliage after the blooms are gone? It is turning brown

0

Daylilies usually bloom off and on all summer long. They may not bloom well if they are overcrowded, need to be fed, or are water stressed. When the flowers are spent you can prune off the flowering stem and new flowering stems should be produced from the center of the plant. If not, you may need to feed your daylilies (use a bloom booster type fertilizer). When the leaves turn brown you can cut them off the plant but be sure to leave the green foliage alone. I'd consider digging and dividing the plants this fall. This will give you an opportunity to amend the soil with compost or other organic matter and to space the plants so they won't be competing for moisture and nutrients. Once they have enough elbow room they should bloom well all summer long. Best wishes with your daylilies.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"