Concerns re: Pie Pumking Plants & Yellowish Green Beans - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by fannycatz
You really helped me with my white fly issue so I I would ask a couple more questions if you don't mind.
My Pie pumpkin plants in containers (I don't have a backyard) seem like they are blossoming well, but then they appear to fall off and I don't see any pumkins forming (planted them in May).
Green Beans - plants in pot look yellowish green -soil combo of miracle grow & humus manure mixture

0

Glad we've been helpful in the past and you've decided to stop by again! Green beans prefer to grow in the early part of the season. When the temperatures get too hot they just won't grow well or produce. I try to plant mine in the early spring so I can harvest before mid-July and I plant them again in August so I can harvest in October. It may be that the heat is getting to your beans and that's why they are turning yellow. I think I'd pull the plants with the intention of planting new seeds in 3-4 weeks. Pumpkin plants develop both male and female flowers. The male flowers will fall off without producing fruits but the female flowers will develop pumpkins if they have been pollinated by the males. You can tell the difference between the flowers - male flowers are connected by a straight stem; female flowers have a slight swelling on the stem just behind the petals. As long as insects transport pollen from the male to the female flowers, a fruit will develop. You might try removing a male blossom and rubbing the insides of the flower into the insides of a female flower to transfer pollen. This should result in the formation of a little pumpkin. Give it a try! I hope you get pumpkins soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"